A Few Quick Questions

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by traderfjp, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Hi,

I'm new to the Autel family and am excited to get started. I was wondering.....

1. Is there a decal kit for the X-star? I bought a white body since the price was too good to pass up.

2. Is there anyway to get the snap on prop guard that is made for the Phantom to work on the Autel?

3. Is anyone using a windsurfer for better reception and is it worth it?

4. Is a gimbal guard of extended landing gear necessary?

5. Is a Square trade warranty worth it?

Thanks in advance

2. 1. Try http://www.ebay.com/usr/tatoojeff2?_trksid=p2047675.l2559. I bet he'll do custom work. I got his Snoopy as Red Baron decal. It's great.

4. I haven't needed anything, and my landing sites are not the greatest. If it is particularly tricky, I hover, reach up and grab the landing gear, and shut off the motors.

5. Beats me. I bought State Farm's personal property policy for my bird; $60/year. Mechanical breakdown not covered, however. I don't think X-Stars have been around much more than the warranty's one year period.

3. 1.) Specifically bought Orange to see drone better in the sky, white will disappear quickly...decals won't mean much 100' up in the air...just my opinion
    2.) Autel prop guards only $14 US, never use them although i have them...more weight, less flight time
    3.) I do use Windsurfer, definitely improves reception for further distances....my opinion
    4.) Have found no need for a gimbal guard
    5.) no idea

4. I bought the decals mostly for my FAA number, name, and phone number. The Snoopy on top was just for extra fun! None of them will show up when the bird is airborne.

And for question #2, I have read that the answer is "no." There's mixed opinion about prop guards - some think they catch in trees more than not having them. Autel's also have bands along the sides, which catch stuff, and don't seem to do much (according to opinions I have read.) I've flown into a pine tree, and crashed into a dirt hillside, and the props are fine (no guard.) I don't think you want them.

5. Hi Laurie. I have my FAA registration #, name and phone # on a label on the battery.
    Now to get my FAA certificate

6. P.S. Congrats on getting your certificate

7. I almost tried that today but chickened out. Okay, I'll try it tomorrow. :)

8. That works; I wanted my contact info to be really obvious, especially for people who don't know drones.

9. Thanks!

10. The first time was a bit off-putting, but I think it is safe enough. The blades seem to stop with very little force. I wonder about stresses on the landing gear as the whole bird settles, but I think it should be OK.

11. I've "caught" the drone three times now. Comes in real handy when trying to land somewhere not suitable such as in tall growth or dusty conditions.

12. Yes! And on slopes or uneven ground.