Beginner what to do first

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by Josh Strickler, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Hey guys...Just ordered my X-star Premium and it will be here any day. Been reading the forums and getting ideas but I couldn't find a sticky or anything that talked about how to begin or what things to do or look for when starting out.
    I have flown the cheap $50 drones around some until a gust of wind takes them where ever it wants. I wanted to step up and after seeing my friends P3P it made me want one bad.
    Ordered a Nexus 9 tablet to use with it which should be here any day as well. Any help would be appreciated.
    Questions I can think off the top of my head:
    -Calibrating the drone. Does this have to be done every time you fly or just the first time you fly. If every time I would think that would diminish battery life.
    -Updating the Drone and Controller- does this need to be done before my first flight?
    -Setting return to home height. This seems like something very important and needs to be set correct. Does this change and need to be set everytime you fly?

I'm sure there are some more I will think of but I appreciate any help you can provide and if these are answered somewhere please point me in the direction as I could not find a how to begin or beginners guide.
    Thanks

2. The Autel website says calibrate every time but that is only if you travel more then 50 mile to a new site. I have owned a few GPS drones and only calibrate if I travel over 50 miles.

If you just ordered it they say it should have the latest firmware on it. You can check in the Starlink App.

Once you set your RTH height it stays.

The Autel website has a lot of good video tutorials that explain pretty much all the things a new pilot needs to know.
    https://www.autelrobotics.com/customer-support/tutorials/

3. The tutorials is exactly what I watched and have even watched some that have been released since the time I received my drone. Waiting for the X-Star to arrive is the hard part. Hitting the take-off button and flying it around is easy.

4. The manuals are very good too and the quickstart guide is enough to get started.
    I had my maiden flight yesterday and all went smooth. This is my first gps multirotor too. ..so far i am very impressed. You will have no problem..