Beginners mode range

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by John McKay, Jul 16, 2017.

1. I was flying in beginners mode today and walking with the drone. It suddenly stopped going forward a couple of blocks from where I started. I was thinking range was based on the location of the RC. Am I wrong on that? Is it based on the Homepoint?

Thanks

2. Good question. I have no idea. I turned off beginner mode before the second flight. Never tried what you describe. Curious to hear a technical answer. :)

3. If I recall, it's 100' vertical and 300 horizontal. Probably based on homepoint but just guessing.

3 people like this.
  4. I experienced the same thing yesterday and I'd have to agree with Jim626 on the range...that was about where I was at when the warning came on. I was flying for only the fourth time and over a large, swift moving creek in a windy gorge. I was grateful for the lower speed settings otherwise I would have crashed and lost it at some point for sure. That old axiom: altitude is a pilots best friend really came into play for me and only at the last moment did I remember to shove that left toggle forward and climb. Having said that, I am looking forward to taking off my training wheels.

5. Having watched all of the Autel Tutorial Videos, I distinctly remember Natalie saying to start in an open area free from hazards. :)

I took her statement as good advice. I flew a dozen times in these conditions before going into a technically difficult area.

I would also offer that her advice concerning let go of the joysticks when you find yourself in over your head as good advice.

I started conservatively and got along fine until I thought I knew how to fly. Then I crashed. Twice in the same day. :)