FAA Part 107 Training and Completion

Discussion in 'General' started by Mike Cunningham, Dec 31, 2016.

1. I just passed my FAA Knowledge test and have acquired my Part 107 Certificate. I wanted to pass on a recommendation to RemotePilot101.com for the excellent online training program they offer. I completed the online course, took their test and felt well prepared for the FAA exam. I highly recommend them.
    Right now you can buy the program for $99 forever.

7 people like this.
  2. What does the 107 give you or allow you to do versus not having it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. To work commercially and receive payment without breaking the law. Even if you want to donate your time to say Search & Rescue you need a Part 107

4. So It does not allow you to fly without calling a flight tower if inside the 5 mile radius?
    You still need to make that call correct?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

5. From what I see I don't have to have this 107 license.
    I am just a rec. Flyer.

6. No when Part 107 was brought in it made it easier for hobbyist to go commercial. It replaced the old 333 licence which was a lot harder to get as you need a actual pilots licence. Part 107 just simplified it for the average Joe to make a living flying his drone.

Being a hobbyist actually gives you more freedom but you can not make money off your pictures or videos.

7. Haven't read it yet. Going to call tower tonight and see what they say when I inform/ask permission to fly.

8. Is this test necessary for recreational flying?

9. No absolutely not. This is just for people who want to do this and make money. Commercial pilot.

10. Am I the only one that thinks having a license to earn money from something that you can do without a license is ridiculous?

11. how long did it take you to get through the online training course? just started to look over the study guide that the FAA gives you 70+ pages and my head is spinning already. congratulations on passing.

12. New user here, but licensed under Part 107. It's not just that Part 107 allows you to be paid for your services, you also get more leeway in where you can operate. Operating near airports (whether towered or not) seems to be an area of serious confusion for people out there. In practice, huge numbers of hobbyist flyers, particularly in urban areas, are most likely breaking the law. Straight from the FAA's FAQ site, you can either fly a drone under Part 107, or under Model Aircraft rules:

"Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
    Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336)."

On the other hand, Part 107 allows you to fly in any unrestricted Class G airspace (provided there are no temporary/special flight restrictions) regardless of whether an airport is within 5 miles or not, so long as you exercise good judgement and don't interfere with manned aircraft. As Jagerbomb52 mentioned, for operations in controlled airspace, that requires an online waiver application well in advance. Quoting the Part 107 Advisory Circular:

"Small UA Operations Near an Airport—Notification and Permissions. Unless the flight is conducted within controlled airspace, no notification or authorization is necessary to operate at or near an airport. When operating in the vicinity of an airport, the remote PIC must be aware of all traffic patterns and approach corridors to runways and landing areas. The remote PIC must avoid operating anywhere that the presence of the sUAS may interfere with operations at the airport, such as approach corridors, taxiways, runways, or helipads. Furthermore, the remote PIC must yield right-of-way to all other aircraft, including aircraft operating on the surface of the airport."

If you are a hobbyist, try consulting the FAA's B4UFLY app or something like airmap.io. When you input your location, you'll probably notice that you are surrounded by all sorts of small airports that you may not have even been aware of, most of which are in uncontrolled airspace. In practice, I think many hobbyist operators are unknowingly violating this rule.

Considering the rebate deal that Autel has offered to those who pass the 107 test, it was a no-brainer for me. Much more flexibility in flying, and a lot of useful knowledge earned along the way.

Mulk777 likes this.