First drone purchase. A bad one. Help please!

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by James Winter, Jan 15, 2018.

1. I purchased a used XSP as my first drone. After alot of research I choose them over DJI. Being that I am on a tight budget I searched locally for a deal (first mistake). I found a used XSP with a ton of extras for a price I couldn't believe (second mistake). I test flew the bird and everything seemed ok. After getting her home I noticed the camera pointed a few degrees off to the side. It appears the gimbal arm is bent? What are my options? Is any. Anyone ever tried to straighten one of these?

2. It won't let me upload pictures or I would. Anyone that thinks they can help I can send you pictures.

3. James, Contact Autel. Their customer service excels and they will get it back in shape for you. They are in Bothell, Washington, so you won't have to send it overseas. I'm confident that they will treat you well, and you'll still come out of it well. Their phone is on their website at: www.autelrobotics.com

DrBogo likes this.
  4. I see. It must have taken a pretty hard landing. Again, I'm confident that Autel can help you. Their phone number is: (844) 692-8835

5. I think the new software can help you change the lt/rt of the camera. that's one thing to try.

6. A call to Autel would confirm whether the new Firmware would help, or whether the aircraft needs to be sent in. Nevertheless, if you haven't done the firmware update, you should.

7. Firmware will not help fix a bent piece. If it's not working properly i'm guessing the camera/gimbal will need to be replaced.

8. Autel will only sell a full replacement. I am currently waiting for my new gimbals to be shipped. I also bought a used XSP, but the gimbals ribbon cable was cut, and 2nd motor was seized. I have the entire thing taken apart. If your gimbals is bent where the controller attaches, it's not difficult take apart if you have some skill.

Send me a detailed image of the damaged area, and I can help with spares, if I have them. It won't be cheap, given that I just dropped $350 to replace, but it will get your bird back to filming level shots.

9. Notice that after all of us replied to the o.p., he never responded to us.

10. Sorry I never responded, life got a little crazy with the whole family catching the FLU. I did contact Autel and they offered for me to send it in and they would take a look at it. I decided to get brave and see what I could do to straighten it using some small c clamps and padding. I was able to straighten it! I was also doing a shell replacemnt at the same time. The shell replacement was more of a task than I thought it would be but I got it all back to 100%. Thanks for yalls replies.

DrBogo likes this.
  11. [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

12. Looks good. You might go through all of the calibration procedures that are in Starlink. Definitely recalibrate your drone compass every time you fly in a new location. Once all is set, you should be good to go.

13. Yeah I forgot to recalibrate after all the repair, crashed right after take off. Lucky for me it was into a pile of leaves so no damage! My heart sank at first.

14. lol great job!!!