For visualization are there lights on the drone to support night flight?

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by jean, Jun 17, 2016.

1. I'm wondering if the installed lights on the drone are suitable enough for night time photography or should I look into buying external lights? And if I do that, will the extra weight on the drone weigh it down?

2. I think you are bordering on surveillance types of drones though. It's one thing to get one and fly it around your background during the day, but to actually get one that would be capable of taking pictures - clear pictures - at night, well I think people's privacy would be at stake there. I think you would get into a lot of heat if that happens, even if you didn't mean anything wrong. But you should ask your local hobby shop if they are in stock of one of those, probably a night vision camera, but like I said, it would probably raise a lot of eyebrows if you would get one for recreation.

3. If you're asking about keeping LOS on the quad while it's in the air, the installed lights will be sufficient. You could likely add some lightweight LED strips without bogging things down too much, but the issue becomes powering them. Are you planning on tapping into the power of the quad or adding another battery? That much weight MAY make a difference.

4. I saw a review of the Xstar that said it had a payload of 800g but no camera, so I think it was an old review, possibly of the X-Star-Go. I have read that the payload of the current X-Star is 140g or 5 oz.

5. I've been wondering about that myself and I like the tip about using LED strips because they are lightweight. I intend to use my drone for some night flying and it's nice to know that there are so many options for lights on the drone to support night flight.

6. Although it would be very cool to see the extra flashing lights at night time, you will need to power the lights with an external power source.. and that will add additional weight to the drone... And of course, that will/may reduce your flight time....