GPS Interference Testing

Discussion in 'General' started by GR8FLYING, Jun 16, 2017.

1. IMG_1394.PNG IMG_1393.PNG IMG_1394.PNG IMG_1393.PNG I just got a NOTAM (notice to airmen) from the FAA this morning that for a month beginning on the 19th of June 2017 thru the later part of July there will be GPS Interference Testing that will affect GPS signals beginning as low as 50 feet AGL. See attached diagrams.

I am not sure how this testing may affect SUAV flight while operated in GPS mode. I would imagine it would affect a waypoint program set up in the StarLink app and may change the home position if a drone was left to it's own devices to land on a low battery.

This may just be hand wringing but I would hate to get tied up in the testing that is centered on the panhandle of Florida and will extend 185 mile radius at 50 feet and over 300 miles up near 35,000 feet.

2. I worry enough about losing my xsp due to my own failings. I certainly don't need any help. :)

3. Here's an interesting new tutorial on NOTAMS just posted by Autel this morning - it explains how to check for GPS Interference Testing, among other things. Some very useful information, especially for pilots who haven't gone the the Part 107 certification process:

4. My area says not covered by notams