How difficult is it to control a drone?

Discussion in 'General' started by asilnais86, May 28, 2016.

1. I've never had one or known anyone who has one so I'm interested, how difficult is it to fly one? I would be so scared of smashing it into the ground!

2. I was wandering the same thing. I've heard the batteries on the small ones die quickly, and the drones come crashing down. I'm not very coordinated, and I'm not sure how good I'd be with it.

3. I wonder how sturdy they are, like can they withstand a crash? It would be pretty upsetting if you spent all that money on one and then broke it.

4. I was thinking the same thing. I thought about buying a cheaper one first to try it out. I can only imagine I would crash several times since I'm new to it. I was wondering is it similar to flying a remote controlled helicopter or something?

5. I've never flown a remote control helicopter either but I've heard that they are pretty difficult to control. Getting a cheaper one first seems like a good idea, what sort of prices have you seen for the lower end ones?

6. From what I have read and seen, it's basically just controlling a toy plane. But then again, it is pretty expensive, one drone alone can reach to the thousand dollar mark, and you DEFINITELY do not want to break in on your first try. But it's a hazard that comes with something that is remotely controlled and has to fly to different obstacles, while being able to land perfectly without any problems. Good luck, and I hope you don't break it on the first try, because these things are insanely expensive!

7. Bigger more expensive camera drones come with GPS autopilot assist, and are very easy to fly. Smaller toy quadcopters and racing drones are substantially harder to fly because there is no autopilot.

Best bet is to start with a toy grade and work your way up. A Syma X5c can be bought for 40$ and is a perfect machine to learn on. Practically indestructible. Start there and learn to actually fly. That way when a solar flare knocks out GPS and your drone takes off back to china you can switch to manual mode and save it.

Banggood (Great drone supplier) Has them right now for under 40$ from the US warehouse.
    http://www.banggood.com/Syma-X5C-Explorers-2_4G-4CH-RC-Quadcopter-Mode-2-With-Camera-p-913827.html

Happy Flying!

8. I know what you mean. They are so expensive in the first place, I would hate to lose all that money just because I didn't know how to fly it properly. Thanks for that tip about starting with a toy grade and then moving on to the more advanced ones. Forty bucks seems like a perfectly reasonable amount to spend on your first one.

9. For what it's worth, I have a couple of in inexpensive drones and I can't fly them well at all. Flying a GPS-enabled drone is a whole different experience. I've had one serious crash and it was because I wasn't playing attention, not because of I couldn't fly well. Even in ATTI mode, the X-Star will try to keep a steady altitude.

5 people like this.
  10. Flying these "higher end" GPS drones is less like flying and more like telling it what you want it to do. They really do all the flying themselves. That said, I DO think it's a good idea to learn the fundamentals of flying with a cheaper quad first. You won't regret it. :)

5 people like this.
  11. It's just as easy as flying a toy airplane from what I hear. Plus I read somewhere that you can get a simple one to practice on for just under fifty bucks. I think that might be worth it just to get that flying experience.

12. It's well enough to say they are as easy to fly as a toy helicopter, but what about those of us who have never flown a toy anything. I am starting from scratch, I've never even played any 'flying' games so I know absolutely nothing about it.

13. Honestly, fairly difficult unless you are talking something with auto pilot features. It really depends on what you want to fly. A aerial photography drone is designed to make flight as easy as possible, so you can focus on the camera. The autel for example has a one button takeoff and land, gps autopilot, return to home. So it is really easy to fly. A ZMR 250 racing drone has none of that, so you have to control the craft at all times, not so easy.

This helped me out alot getting started.
    http://quadcopter101.blogspot.com/2013/10/chapter-1-introduction-to-quadcopters.html
    His videos are pretty well done, gets some fundamentals.

If you are really worried about crashing then perhaps you want to try a simulator first. There are various PC simulators that even use real transmitters. log a few hours in a sim before taking to the sky for peace of mind.

5 people like this.
  14. Didn't know that drones can be acquired for less than 50 bucks. The syma X5c quadcopter looks neat from the point of view of someone with zero experience as a drone pilot. Albeit simple, Those two protruding supports alongside the attached camera for landing purposes also provide some extra sturdiness to the design.

15. You would be surprised how durable the thing is. It only weighs about 100 grams. So not much force behind it when it hits. I managed to bend a prop, once. Just one, and I crash mine all the time. I had a gust of wind carry it away from me once, it went up to 60ish feet in the air then dive bombed. It scratched it up a little, flew fine.

16. In my limited experience with an X5C, it doesn't handle winds well. I had one hit a tree about 40-50 ft up, due to a combination of pilot error and wind, and it was unharmed, even though it landed on asphalt.

17. Syma also has the X5HC (H for altitude hold...). This version is similar to the older X5C. And yes unfortunately, because of the size of these quadcopters (considered toy grade), they do not fair against the wind to well...

But nonetheless, I think the X5HC is great for those that want to get their feet wet! But be sure to get extra batteries, the flight times are short (between 5-9 minutes or so....)