How expensive is a drone?

Discussion in 'General' started by LoreeLee, Jul 28, 2016.

1. How expensive is it to get a drone? Is it something the average person can actually afford?

I don't know much about them, and have never owned one, but I am curious to learn about them, and must admit I am tempted by the thought of having one to play around with.

2. While I'm happy to offer a response, this is easily answered by Googling the drones you're thinking of.

As with any hobby, you can easily spend as much or as little on this hobby as you desire. Simple, non-gps quads can be had for as little as $40. You can buy a GPS enabled mid-range drone with a non stabilized camera or a poor gimbal camera for a couple hundred. The X-Star (which this forum was created to discuss) is at the lower cost range of the "upper level" prosumer drones. You can find it for 899$ or a little cheaper if you know when and where to look. Several competitors can be had for $1200-1500 and some the higher level camera and gimbal on the Inspire 1pro will run you about $4000. You can easily spend more than that. The heavier the camera gear you want to lift, the more you're going to spend.

I think an average person CAN afford it provided you know how to save for something. I'm a public school teacher by day and after a few months of saving, I was able to get one. :)

4 people like this.
  3. If you go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com/, click on "Photography", then "Drones and Aerial Images", then "Advanced/Professional", there are several that are over 15,000, and one that's $31,599. The X-Star and Phantom are listed in the "Intermediate/Practiced" under "Drones and Aerial Images".

4 people like this.
  4. At those prices, would people still buy drones just for the fun of owning one? I really want one but the price seems a bit too expensive for me at the moment. Maybe I'll just get myself a simple $40 one just so I can practice learning how to fly one.

4 people like this.
  5. Of course I could Google. Anyone can Google. But I thought that maybe asking in a forum like this where people are specifically interested in this hobby I might get a more concise and informed opinion.

At $40 for a cheap, basic one, that is not too bad. It seems like it could be an affordable thing to play around with with my nieces and nephews, provided they are fully supervised, of course. I have known my ex BIL to break a very expensive toy remote control helicopter before, and he was 30, so probably it would be better not to let very small children play with them.

@TomKnAL Thank you for the link. Some of those are truly fascinating to look at, though way out of my price range. Wouldn't it be fun to play with one for a day?

6. There are drones in just about every price range really. Toy grades are what you get up to about 200$. At that price you start getting some decent brush less motors.

The Hubsan brushless is probably about the cheapest decent drone out there. At 250$ you get Brushless motors which are more powerfull and last longer. fixed 1080p camera with real time view. You also get GPS and altitude hold. WHich means you do not have to constantly control the trottle to keep a stable height, and it has auto return to home if something goes wrong.
    http://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-X4-H...ss-Motor-GPS-RC-Quadcopter-RTF-p-1004657.html

A step up from there would be the Xiro Xplorer V. 1080p camera but its now on a 3 axis gimble to give you very stable shots.
    https://www.amazon.com/XIRO-Xplorer...135354N&qid=1453511208&ref_=sr_1_156&sr=8-156

Not the easiest thing to fly, but once you get the hang of it its really fun, at disposable prices.
    http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-H8-...4G-4CH-6-Axis-RC-Quadcopter-RTF-p-975808.html

There is even a camera light enough to mount on top for FPV flight! Mine is on the way.

7. The price range of these drones is truly mind boggling. What would make someone pay over three thousand dollars for a drone? I just need to understand where the appeal lies. For me, a drone will be for flying around on weekends and playing with my five year old so I don't imagine I'll buy one that costs more than a hundred bucks.

8. Here is where some of the appeal lies. Imagine your that photographer who loves sunset shots but lives surrounded by trees. When that magic storm front leaves a spectacular sunset of red, blue and shadow cast clouds, you can rise above the tree line and be filming or shooting pics within minutes. The hunter, who wants to get the lay of the land prior to the hunt and search out probable hunt sites. The home owner who wants an aerial map for visitors or family to show his location. The person having his house for sale, showing an aerial view of the house and the neighborhood. The architect showing off his latest design to add to his portfolio, or show the area where the planned construction will occur. The farmer who wishes aerial surveillance of his crops for hidden problems in growth, health or harvest initiatives. The fisher who wishes to look for bait surfacing and turbulent waters where fishing may be better. The sport hobby flyer who wishes to compete and show off his flying skills against others. The list can go on and on.

9. Same here. I simply wouldn't buy an expensive drone for recreational purposes.

Unless there's a strong reason like having to deliver something via drone due to crappy roads in the area or something powerful like that, I'd buy the cheapest I can get my hands on in order to just play a bit.

Although I don't know if I'd go as cheap as the ~$25 toy drones. Need something minimally decent at least :)

10. I think these days, a lot of the inexpensive drones are getting better in terms of quality and durability.... So you can just get a fairly inexpensive drone and start flying it. I think the key to this hobby is that you just have to be willing to go out and fly!
    (Just be safe!!! BE aware of your surroundings and leave a large space cushion around the area you plan to fly in....)