Little Painted Desert, AZ

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by bjtap, Jul 24, 2017.

1. This is my first attempt at 'scenic' video... that is, not just practicing flying... which I still am doing.
    My thanks to ovrszd who encouraged me to 'publish' the video:. "...if you don't post ur Desert video, it didn't happen.... ;)"
    The video was taken at the Little Painted Desert County Park near Winslow, AZ. The park itself, while still open, is no longer maintained, so I was able to 'fly' with nobody else around. That is ideal for me as I still have not built full confidence in my flying skills,

6 people like this.
  2. Very nice!

3. Nice video!!!! What caused this area to look like that?? Obviously a LOT of erosion but curious what was deposited there to get that look?? Thanks for posting!!!!

4. #4 bjtap, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2017
    Came here to thank you two for your nice comments. ovrszd I wish I can answer your question and I should be able to. I WAS a geologist many many moons ago. The best answer I can give now is that different sedimentary layers are made of different material... some more susceptible to erosion than others. Those that are more susceptible will erode faster. Sorry if that is overly simplified but it has been way too long since I worked in geology (maybe 50 or more years ago at the USGS). I do remember though, that the 'redder' the rock the more iron content. Right now I am a retired elementary school teacher who, when I look at formations such as these, see beauty. I have long forgotten the 'science' behind most of it. I guess I can also say that the more 'smooth' the formations appear means they were probably weathered by water flow (certainly way in the geologic past). If you look at the formations you can see tell tale signs of where water 'recently' flowed. You can also see some 'channels' on the floor. Also, some layers were just not as well compacted as others... thus leading to easier erosion. Some of the smoothness and roundness of the formations might also be due to wind erosion also. (I hope I did not insult you ovrszd, but maybe you will get me thinking more back to my early roots as a geologist. You seem to be my conscience!).

5. bjtap, your descriptions are spot on. These colorful rock formations can be seen in many places in the Southwest. The longer I live out here, the more I enjoy the countryside, which is very different from what I grew up in back in New England.

6. Bigbit,
    Right now I am in Holbrook, AZ. Where abouts are you?

7. Eastern suburbs of L.A. Not far from the Cajon Pass. We go to Vegas frequently and I like to spend time in the Red Rock area when we go. Another example of layer stratification.

IMG_0204.JPG

8. Great explanations. My logic side always has questions. :)

9. Bigbit,
    Beautiful pic. ovrszd now has me looking at it with my more 'scientific eyes' from the past.(Besides the layers I am beginning to see fracture patterns, alluvial fan deposits etc). Where is it? I don't believe it's in the suburbs of east la. I don't believe (shows what I know) that this would be typical of the Cajon Pass... an area I have not seen it probably over 40 years.

10. The picture that I posted is of the Red Rock area just west of Vegas. On my YouTube page, I have some nice videos of the Mormon Rocks area in the Cajon Pass. Here’s a link to one.

11. Thanks Bigbit,
    Just subscribed to you. Nice video not only for the rock formations but for catching the train and the overpasses. Music and editing sound and look great also!

3 people like this.