Lost Controller Linke

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by TomKnAL, Aug 25, 2016.

1. This was in another thread:
    I have had the control link drop and not reconnect several times. One time I was flying low and there was a large mound of dirt that was probably between me and the aircraft. It was a fair distance away though probably less than 1000ft.

On another occasion, I had just taken off and the X-Star was 140 ft away and 140+ up. It landed but I did not reconnected until after resetting everything.

Note - The edit function does not allow correction of typos in the header. Linke => Link

Last night I happened again. I don't remember exact distances but I think I was within 300ft and under 250ft. Given that it was coming home, I turned off the remote, then turned it back on. It regained connection about 50ft as it was landing.

On a couple of occasions, I have lost the link, but recovered within a few seconds.

2. Hope this helps you too. I was contacted about video and controls dropping. I have a standard version. Support has always been very prompt with me and they can't always help but are quick and friendly.

They wanted to make sure I had the remote antenna pointed in the right direction and I did not! Make sure you have the antenna pointed in the direction of the drone, like you are pointing a finger. The flat part of the antenna should be going vertically as well according to them for the best and longest stable connection.

They also had me uncheck the setting to record flight paths during flight as a workaround for now. It helped a little for me but didn't fix my issue completely though they said it was being worked on as a known issue for some users.

Hope this can help others. I tried to upload a picture for you to illustrate the correct orientation of the remote relative to the drone for best connection but this forum says my iOS native photo size is too large to post. Wish I could provide the visual aid. Perhaps an admin can increase the cap on photo sizes to at least accommodate pictures taken on our cell phones to better help in the future? ;) ;)

3. The user manuals indicates that the antenna should be parallel to each other and at a right angle to the line to the drone.

I've never tried the "record flight path" option, but I thought tat just increased latency rather than braking the link.

You should be able to scale the picture down to a smaller but still very readable size.

3 people like this.
  4. I'll try to change the map size like you say, mine is set to default which is pretty small already but cool to know it can be adjusted thanks! Reading your quote of the manual sounds like the same pics and advice the support told me but in a different way, thanks for reiterating it.

Figured I better look at the app for a quote too instead of paraphrasing like before. I don't know the how or why of why this helps some people but it did help me with iOS version of Starlink. The support person said to turn off the "show flight route," in the general settings as a work around.

Maybe the why is the app using too much RAM with the gps or cacheing too much for both the video feed and the flight route at the same time? Maybe it's Gremlins?

It hasn't solved my problem but has seemed to minimize it at a cost of losing the live mapping.

Thanks again for clarifying and keeping the thread going.

5. I meant that you could scale from "iOS native photo size" to something smaller. For example, a recent screen capture was 2560x1440. I scaled it to 20% before emailing it. It was still very readable.

6. They wanted to make sure I had the remote antenna pointed in the right direction and I did not! Make sure you have the antenna pointed in the direction of the drone, like you are pointing a finger. The flat part of the antenna should be going vertically as well according to them for the best and longest stable connection.

I would question who ever told you to point the antenna at the drone. These antennas are vertical dipoles, they radiate from the sides with the end having a dead spot. If you are flying directly overhead then you should point the antenna parallel with the ground . Other wise the antennas should be perpendicular to the ground. All thas inside a a coax with the shield stripped and made into a counterpoise. the flat part does not mean anything. I am surprised Autel is blowing smoke up customer's ass. Look at the attached photo for radiation pattern of a vertical dipole.

Capture.JPG

7. Oh, very funny thanks for clarifying Tom. Call me lazy but I'm not going to import pics to my computer to be able to rescale pics to then upload here. Every other place I've uploaded pics to has been able to do that internally. Anyway, back to drone stuff huh?

8. Wow. Thank you for your info on the antenna.

The tech/customer support person Wrote the following about this. Your info is much more detailed either way. I'll copy and paste their email advice here for you and try to add his pics that he sent to me just for your reference.

From Ryan Chase:

"...I took some pictures of the correct way to position the antennas.

Orientation 1 is for when the aircraft is in front of you.

Orientation 2 is for when the aircraft is above you..."

(Ryan's images were sent separately and were too large so I did mash them together and added the text to be clear what his message was telling me.

Attached Files:

9. Haha he has it backwards, there is no way s an antenna squirts RF out the end like a garden hose. He will have to prove that to me in an antenna test range.

3 people like this.
  10. If you are correct, and I have no reason to believe you are not, it's sad to be told something by support that is hogwash. I hope you're wrong just on principle, if Autel is talking BS about this how can I trust them again? I haven't been able to test this new controller orientation but as soon as I do I'll be sure to post an update here ok? Cheers to you and thanks again everyone!

11. I agree with X-Starman. They have it reversed and did give you bad info. The manual even shows how the antennas work. I am constantly either moving my controller up to keep the orientation or if above me moving them out flat parallel to the ground and haven't had a signal issue yet.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. Interesting folks, thanks again for more good info. I think we should give an opportunity to mr. Ryan Chase here, perhaps his email was mixed up (benefit of the doubt time)? Don't ever like talking about someone behind their virtual back. I'll send him a link to this thread, let's see how or if he responds for Autel. His response or lack of one will be telling... Ryan, is what you told me miss understood by me, were you speaking about things you don't actually know the answers too just in a hurry to close another web support ticket or is something else going on? I'd purely like an honest answer and here is your chance to give it.

Thanks in advance for being a solid dude with integrity and not getting weird or defensive. Look forward to your words.

13. Ok, so this proves nothing in anyway but I flew two batteries yesterday and the orientation of my remote antenna the way Autel's Ryan Chase told me and showed in the pic above worked flawlessly in every way.

Here is my response to Ryan at Autel on my experience and I need more flights to see. It flies against the science up there but so far I had the best flights with no loss orientated the way Ryan said. It's a mystery?

Interested in your own results, will you try it out and let us know? We need more data thanks in advance!

My follow up to Ryan:

"Haven't heard from you about the antenna and signal thread question but that's ok. I tried to include you at least.

So I was able to fly in Lincoln City yesterday right in the middle of town with homes, the highway, cables, hotels, and all sorts of possible interference. I got 20 satellites which was more than my other video lag and dropping flights (all my other flights!).

I set a shorter max distance of 1500 feet out and 400 high.

These two flights with semi full batteries and your way of setting the antennas had me happy as all get out. I had NO video loss Ryan!
    So, it's only a data set of 2. That isn't enough to make any conclusions at all but it's looking positive.

I'll keep flying this way and if things are bad again I'll let you know. I'll also post a copy of my response to you on the thread where I was trying to pass on your advice, and where at least two people strongly disagreed with your advice.

Thanks for your help so far,

cheers."

14. Just playing devils advocate here as I personally believe the manual as published, but:

Based on the diagrams, theoretically, wouldn't keeping the antennas horizontal to the sides accomplish the best of both worlds? Wouldn't it give you great vertical and horizontal distance without having to reorient? You would lose side to side range, but don't we all look & point the remote in the direction where we are flying anyway?

Sorry, but I'm a self professed annoying Why Child by nature.

3 people like this.
  15. Check out this quick video from Autel on antenna placement...

Paul Ahlbrandt likes this.