real close call with helicopter IN THE NEWS

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by mixchief, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Just what we need, terriblepublicity. SO watch this and judge for yourselves. As far as I've understood (and I live close to the beach, not terribly far from where this happened, if you use "before u fly" it's very obvious that most of the beach is a warning zone, there are heliports everywhere, for hospitals tourism and police, not to mention banner planes. Common sence tells us that we cannot or should not fly 400 feet because of high traffic, traffic that has the right of way, I personally try to stay at 200 feet tops around here doring weekends and bulk of the day, traffic dies at dusk, whisch is my favorite time to fly anyway, also early AM the traffic is manegable. I don't care if he was below 400 feet, unless you have advised the faa of your flight path and altitude, in other words a flight plan, you are NOT in the right with a close call like that. Choppers are loud and easy o see if your bird is within line of sight, hey give you plenty of time to go real low till it pases!

2. Rule of thumb is the Bigger Aircraft has the right of way. High traffic areas are an obvious no-no.

mixchief likes this.
  3. I'm with the drone pilot on this one. He looks to be below 400' and flying over water. That helicopter came up pretty fast from nowhere.

4. Sorry bro, it is a known fact that manned aircraft fly lower around beach areas where there is tourist traffic in the air, generally flying 200' all you are safe, higher than that you are risking someone else's life. Nice we can fly sitting on a lawn chair on the beach where there is no risk.

5. And you can show me this in the FAA reg's??? Even though I know aircraft fly lower than there supposed 500' limit (I deal with crop dusters in my area). The only thing I can find in writing is we (UAV pilots) can't fly higher than 400' and they (every one else) aren't suppose to fly lower than 500' So yeah I would like to see something official saying that aircraft (fixed or rotary) can just wiz down a public beach at 200'. And to add to that show me where UAV's can't fly over open water.

6. There is nothing in writing as far as I know, but, are you willing to take the risk knowing that there is helicopter traffic on a very regular basis just because you don't see a reg in black and white? Is it acceptable to be responsible for a collision that could cost life just because the regs don't say it's okay for helicopters to fly below 400. I know I'm not willing to take that chance until I'm 107 and file a flight plan that keeps rtaffic informed of my location, n fact you don't need to be 107 to file a flight plan, you can do it in the b4ufly fcc app. The safety of living beings is way more important to me than my desire to fly a drone to take pretty pictures.

7. Wow are you for real? If you had it your way the "hobbiest" would be non existent. I could bump heads with you all day but I'll be the bigger man here. Now you'll have to excuse me I'm off to take some pretty pictures.

1. FROM: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...re/media/FAA_Guide_to_Low-Flying_Aircraft.pdf
    2. 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes; general

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
      1. (a) Anywhere – An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

2. (b) Over congested areas – Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open-air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
    (c) Over other than congested areas – An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters – Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed In paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason: they have unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is their ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power-out emergencies. Furthermore, the helicopter's increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added flexibility.

I STAND CORRECTED, The ruling IS written by the FAA sorry for my ignorance, but in all fairness I said "as far as I know" Now I know better.