Satelite Imagery service for background on controller NOT Google Earth

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by Promapper, Mar 30, 2017.

1. I have a need to fly straight lines over trees longer than the 1650 distance limit for way points that they have hard coded on us so I figured I could create the route as a line / path overlay in Google Earth and transfer it to the Tablet and let starlink use it . Then just fly the route manually. NOPE. I contacted Autel and below is a copy of the original email and response.

Description of inquiry

I have google earth installed on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A and can open KML files through Google Earth. I also use this device to run the Starlink.
    I am able to run through the procedure of connecting to a wifi and loading the Google Earth imagery into the cache, disconnect and then run Starlink with the GE Satellite image in the background. However I CAN not OPEN A kml file with boundaries and other important line work and have it show up in starlink.
    How can I use starlink with the background of Google Earth with a google earth custom line work (kml)superimposed on the image?

Autel response

Thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately that type of file is not supported through our app. The maps that you are viewing through the Starlink App are not from google earth. They may be some of the same imagery but are not part of that service. We also do not have a way currently to side load different or altered maps.
    I apologize for the inconvenience but appreciate your understanding. Let me know if I can help with anything else. ​

I just assumed they were using the google earth services. apparently not. Just thought I would share.

2. Hmmm,,, I was self teaching how to use Orbit the other day and the satellite imagery was marked as being Google Earth. But maybe I misunderstood what you said?

So wonder how the imagery could be marked "google" but yet not be using that service?

I'm new to this so maybe it's my limited understanding that is the problem. :)

3. #3 copshopmech, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
    Maybe this will help understand.....not saying its right though.

5. It's in the fine print so to speak. From Autel "The maps that you are viewing through the Starlink App are not from google earth. They may be some of the same imagery but are not part of that service.

I take that to mean that Autel may be serving the imagery themselves with a license from Google or they may have purchased the the imagery from the same source as google (Cities, counties, states etc). Basically, when the Starlink app needs maps/ images it does not get them from a Google website / source.

At least that would be my interpretation.