Southern Cali Hacker

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Wildseyed, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Hey everybody!

I'm starting an effort to reverse engineer the XSP for the purpose of getting the PX4 flight control working on XSP (Autel code is branched from this code base), figuring out the Gimbals/Camera interface (Power/CAN/USB), and designing an alternative open source battery. I thought about just having a category on one of these forums, but it's difficult to split my time between here and AuteXPilots, so I will probably reside on GITHUB when I get better organized.

For now, if you want to follow along, you will need to check out my posts on AXPilots.

I have two XSPs, and an extra (broken) gimbals, for conducting some testing, but If you would like to contribute, below are some things that are needed. You don't need to send them anywhere yet, but just keep an eye out for this kind of stuff:

1. Protocol sniffers from https://www.totalphase.com/ These will go to whoever is most capable. I might organize a crowdfunding effort if there is enough interest. They are pricey.
    2. Crashed XS circuit boards that are still functional. These would be needed later on for testing PX4 firmware installs.
    3. Battery controllers. If you have dead batteries laying around, the circuit boards might be reusable. I'm going to be designing a 3D printable battery enclosure that will house the electronics along with user replaceable LiPo cells. I have found a manufacturer that has smaller cells with slightly higher capacities. There is a communication barrier, but I have a friend in Singapore that will be handling that effort. I have one such set of circuit boards right now, and one battery that reports incorrect flight duration (51 minutes full). Autel has already sent me a replacement, so that one is a test candidate for troubleshooting these strange battery problems.
    4. Optical flow camera is probably similar to the gimbal in that is has USB, CAN, and power. Hopefully it uses the same hardware as other OF cameras out there.

If anyone has skill sets to lend to this effort, please let me know.

Regards,

Wildseyed

2. Wildseyed, Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your project.

3. Welcome Wildseyed!! Saw your thread on the other forum as well. Looks like a fun project.