Taking your Drone on an Airline

Discussion in 'General' started by JohnT, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Has anyone taken their drone on a commercial flight? I am flying to Phoenix area next month and would love to take my X-Star with me. I have the Premium with a total of 3 batteries.

2. From what I have been told the hard case fits in the overhead. Now I would double check on that as some airlines have different size rules. The batteries are fine. They should be at storage and the ends taped to nothing can short them out. I have also heard you must not have a battery in the quad.
    It is the over seas airports that give you a problem from what I have heard.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

2 people like this.
  3. Thanks for the input. I have tried to find a reference on the airline's site but seen nothing. Still looking for someone(s) that have actually flown with one to see how security has handled it.

4. I just flew from Hawaii to Nevada with my XSP in my Autel backpack without any issues from the airlines or TSA. The back pack fits in the overhead really well but you may need to check the size allowed as a carry on. The airlines I flew on allowed up to 45 linear inches. The Autel back pack is 44.7 linear inches.

5. Thanks. I am assuming then they didn't give you any grief on the Li-Ion batteries then....

6. I have taken mine on multiple trips (American Airlines and Southwest Airlines) the hard case fits in the overhead with no problem. I also got no grief from TSA, security, or the airlines about the case or the batteries inside.

2 people like this.
  7. Thanks Jacob. That is the kind of stuff I like hearing. I have to travel about 60 miles to an airport to get a cheaper flight and the last thing I want to happen is get turned back at TSA or the airline gate. Best regards. -John