Testing range and RTH...?

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by Kevin, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Need some advice here. It's it pretty safe to count on the RTH function to test out range? Example: Find an open area. Set return to home alt much higher than any obstacles it may find upon returning. Then just head out until it initiates a RTH sequence? Is kind of my plan right now, but I thought I'd ask first...

2. "Safe"? In my experience, yes. Though it is only a test of the area you're in for the particular oddities of that time and may not be the same in another area or even in the same area the next day, or flying a different direction; so is it a test for your XSP overall distance, no. First, you should make sure RTH works right by initiating it yourself, if that proves well, go for it, the few times I lost connection, she came back home perfectly.
    As always, fly at risk.

3. I have already tested the RTH feature. Works fine. I realize that the test will only test its abilities in that area, but I plan to take it somewhere with no power lines, structures, excessive metal, etc. I just want to see if I get anywhere near the advertised range. My best so far was only 1800 ft. But I was just afraid to go further...lol

Thanks for the info.

4. I believe this is a function that relies on a calibrated compass. If you're flying LOS, you can turn the Xstar whichever way you need it to go. If It's going home, it needs to know what direction to go. If the compass is misaligned, it will never get there, but won't quit trying.

5. I believe it relies heavily on GPS...I know it records is location when you spool up the motors...

6. It does depend on GPS, but it needs to know the direction. If the drone is due east of home and tries to "go home", it needs to fly due west. if the compass is out of alignment it may go in a different direction even if it "thinks" it's heading towards home.

7. Still doesn't make sense to me... the drone tracks is own location via gps at all times, and is home location...seems like it wouldn't need the compass, as long as the sats are good.

8. If the drone is due east of home, both the drone and the home point will have the same latitude, say 35.00. Let say that the drone is at -88.001 longitude and the home point is at -88.002 ( I think 0.001 degree of longitude is more than the XStar range at 35 degrees longitude, but it's not critical for this example.) To get "home" the drone should take a heading of 270. This will result in the drone's longitude moving from -88.001 to -88.002, with no change in latitude. Once it gets home it will land. If the compass is off by 10 degrees, the path to "home" will be off by 10 degrees, say 260 degrees, and it will miss home. The longitude will change but so will the latitude, so it will pass home. As it passes it will adjust course but it will never get there because it's going in the wrong direction.

9. just let it fly far out mine has gone 2.77 miles then lost signal I set down rc and go get a smoke and a drink wait and watch it come back and land within a foot from where it took off from

4 people like this.
  10. Awesome. I've only flown in my neighborhood so far. Was scared to go over 1650'. I feel braver now. I got worried when I lost RC and video (was flying blind by camera only) towards my sister's house. So do I turn off the max distance setting and have a go?