Way points

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by Mtron, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Hello ,
    I have recently , after downloading v2, started flying way points. I have really kept all points at the same altitude. I am curious to know how the xp handles changes in way point altitude. If poipoint #1 is at 100'and point #2 is at 50 ft, how and when does the altitude change occur?. Is it gradual between points or after reaching #1 does go to new altitude and the proceed to #2?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2. Good question. I've not used waypoints yet and am interested in educating myself about it.

3. I'd guess a good way to find out would be to try it. Take the XSP out to a good, open area and fly a few points at different altitudes. Someone here has likely done this and will let us know.

4. I have also been flying with waypoints, primarily as an experiment to develop a mapping process for the XSP without using an app (since there are none available that I'm aware of). Since that's been my purpose, all of my waypoints have been at a constant altitude. I'm still using the "current" firmware (not beta), but when reviewing my flight logs I can see that when the XSP heads "home" after flying to the final waypoint, it remains at the same altitude of that final waypoint until it gets directly over "home", then decsends to landing. I would assume that's the same behavior it exhibits between waypoints.

From the very latest beta version of the firmware, V2.0.8 released last week, Item #17 under the
    "Firmware Release Notes":

17 . Waypoint altitude adjustment: change evenly between 2 points (Based on 2.0.1)

I take this to mean that the change in altitude occurs at an even rate up or down between waypoints, instead of as an abrupt vertical change, but I haven't tried it yet. I keep waiting for the "Final" firmware version to be released, but I may have to go ahead with the beta just to try some of the improvements.

5. Right. Tried yesterday but it started drizzle rain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

6. It's important to know especially if there are obstacles between points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

7. Okay. I tried it and it is beautiful to watch as way points are reached . Changes in altitude between way points happens very smoothly. So yang gotta know what's out there before you set the points . But man it is fun!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Sundog775 likes this.
  8. SunDog:
    I was also looking for a mapping process. I did some research and decided that PixHawk had a nice mapping package along with some free, time limited, introductory packages enabling you can kick the tires.

Their website said it was compatible with all drones. However, when I called them they said that their software was not compatible with the XSP.

They asked me to send in a picture and some video and they would send it to development. I did so. Below is the URL for their website. The XSP is now supported. Autel is now listed @ the bottom of their website:

http://www.precisionhawk.com/precisionmapper

Gordon
    Continuous Lift, LLC
    Part 107 Certified

9. #9 Sundog775, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Thanks very much for that tip, I will definitely be checking that out. I've been using Maps Made Easy (www.mapsmadeeasy.com) which is a web-based app that works with any georeferenced image file. There is no direct compatibility with the XSP, however it allows you to manually enter the parameters for any camera to generate a flight plan. There is is no automated process to get the waypoints into the Starlink app, however it does create a .kmz file from which it is easy to manually create the first two waypoints by visually comparison, then simply construct parallel flight lines at the distance specified to meet project requirements. All small jobs are processed at no charge, so it's great for experimenting. I've just flown one small site so far, just to see if it really works (created an ortho from 30 images). Looking forward to more testing, and to checking out Precision Mapper - thanks again for letting me know about that.