X-star wifi to premium?

Discussion in 'X-Star / X-Star Premium' started by Aslan501, Jan 23, 2017.

1. OK so I bought an xstar wifi a few months ago and I've been loving it. However as it was my first quad of this type I went with the cheaper wifi model, but now that I've used it I wish I had a bit longer range. Woild I be able to just buy a premium controler and use that and it work exactly like a premium or would I need to purchase a whole new quad?

2. I think you'd need a new drone too. I have the XSP and it uses the 900 mhz band for the video feed and both (I think) 2.4 and 5.8 ghz wifi bands for all the controls. Call Autel and confirm. It also requires the phone/tablet to have a hardware (USB) connection rather than wifi to the controller

How far can you go with the unit? Beyond 1500 feet is really not (legally) useful as you just can't see the drone very well at that distance and beyond. That is FIVE football fields away and the drone is about the size of a football. That is really small that far out.

3. I don't think many of us really care if we can see it our not. I fly out to 2 miles often and I really wish I could go to 5!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 people like this.
  4. Why would you do it often? I can see maybe once to test the limits but after you have done it once why push it?
    You know you are going to get a lot of the people saying your ruining it for the rest us don't you. Hey I never said that but you should know you just opened yourself up for those comments :)

5. I don't know a single human here, therefore I couldn't care less of their opinions. They can type then out, but they fall on def ears. I'll do me, you do you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

6. I fly over 1.5-2 miles all the time! Where I live in Oklahoma there are gorges and canyons you can't get to unless you fly. So you know what I do. Lol... but I have had my drone 3+miles with good signal and. Idea. There will always be haters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  7. #7 Agustine, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
    Hopefully everyone flies safe

8. I just read an article on the FAA website were they found an individual such as larry0071 that was bragging about some of his flights, FAA inspectors were able to determine through the logs on his drone that he was constantly violating the 400 ft in altitude (one flight was listed at over 1600 agl) and we'll over a mile in distance with out visual observers. He has been advised that he is under investigation and that if or when it is determined that he is guilty (or innocent) he will receive a fine of $10,000 and possibly even serve jail time. I'm not preaching at anyone, but if you post your dirty business for all to read, then you accept the out come.

2 people like this.
  9. If I were flying illegally, I certainly would not mention it on a public forum or post videos of the flight. You take some chances doing that.

It's hard enough to fly legally and more city/county restrictions come all the time. I go out of my way when I fly to show curious passersby the FPV screen, how amazing the view is etc. to tamp down any possible "damn those drones" complaints before they start. So far it's worked 100% of the time and people walk away thinking of getting a drone.

In my local town, somebody posted a great video of the oceanfront from a flight from a local park. 75% of the posts were "F*ck you and those damn drones". One even claimed the reason bees are dying is due to the noise of drones and cell phones (really? Traffic is pretty frickin' loud too!).

I guess those that choose to fly way outside the rules are tempting fate with a potentially large FAA fine. I guess I could say I'll drive as fast as I damn well please on the freeway and you should get the hell out of my way. I'll drive my speed and you drive yours;-). Just keep in mind how you fly affects how other drone fliers are perceived.

BTW, I was going to fly at that same beach.... it's just within 5 miles of a local airport and it would have been my first time calling in "notification" before I fly But I checked and park rules and the city it's in bans all RC flying in parks. Likely I would have gotten a ticket from a local cop....

10. I put some super bright LED "collision light" strobes on mine, mainly for twilight/sunset shots so I could see the drone better as it's getting dark. I tried them during the day and I can go MUCH farther out and still be able tell where the drone is. Can't say I can tell if I'm going to hit something way out there, but at least I can find the drone in the sky much easier. I have trouble seeing it past about 1500 feet in daylight, but with the strobes, I've gone out way past 2000 feet and see it fine.

The other thing is they run for 4 hours so if I crash, I have a better chance of finding it on the ground or up in a tree with the lights flashing.

Also they look pretty cool I have to say ;-)

11. Jagerbomb52. When I fly long distance I use a tripod with a telescope to view my drone and I fly with friends. I fly in Northwestern Oklahoma no cities around nothing but scrublands and mountains. So I keep my drone in line of sight with a spotter or myself observing.

12. [​IMG]

With a spotter and on a clear day. Legal limit to fly from ground station is 3 miles legally. Part 107 FAA.gov

13. When the FAA implemented FAR Part 107, governing non-hobby UAS operations. The Part 107 contains a provision restricting model aircraft operations to ONLY those protected by Sec. 336.

When this regulation was adopted, any hobbyist operation that is not explicitly protected in Sec. 336 (including FPV) will no longer be a model aircraft operation, but a Part 107 UAS operation. Unless the FAA rescinds or amends its 2014 interpretation of what is covered under Sec. 336, hobbyists operating under the authority of Sec. 336 are not able to fly FPV, with or without a spotter, inside or outside of visual line of sight. In order to legally fly FPV, you must get a UAS operator certificate and operate under Part 107.

Based on Part 107, FPV will be allowed as a method of control, but all Part 107 UAS will be limited to flying within visual line of sight (as far as an observer standing next to the pilot can see the craft). The FAA has so far indicated it has no intention of allowing BVLOS UAS flights any time in the near future. This includes Amazon's delivery drones, pipeline inspection, etc. The FAA may grant occasional limited exceptions to individual companies allowing BVLOS operations, but unless the regulation changes radically, it will not allow routine BVLOS flight for anyone.

If the FAA ever authorizes widespread BVLOS operations, it will be done through an entirely new rulemaking process that won't take place until well into the 2020s or 2030s.

For the thousands of FPVers who routinely fly well beyond visual line of sight they will have to either dramatically curtail their flying, or else resign themselves to operating illegally.

2 people like this.

14. What lights did you buy?

15. Thank you I'm trying to learn all these rules.

16. Would like to know this as well